Thursday, May 24, 2012

Are you telling yourself "rational-lies"?

Psalms 4 – 6 were written by David. I can just feel David crying out to God in these three chapters. In Psalms 4 and 5 David cries out to God for answered prayer. “Answer me when I call, O God of my right!” (4:1 – NRSV) “Listen to the sound of my cry, my King and my God, for to you I pray.” (5:2 – NRSV) As I continued to read both of these Psalms, David realized God would listen to his prayers. He was confident in the Lord. He knew he could lie down and sleep in peace (4:8) because he was certain the Lord was with him and would make him safe. He also knew God was his refuge in times of troubles. God was the only protection David needed (5:11) from any circumstance he faced.
In chapter 6 David pours out his soul to God. David is not holding back or hiding a single thing from God. He is being completely open and honest. Being completely opening and honest with God is something I am working on as I continue to walk each day with Christ. Some days are better than others. I don’t know why I try to hide things. God can see everything I do right?
I know when I get things wrong I try to internalize them and sweep them under the rug saying “Oh, things will be better the next time.” Have you ever done that? Instead of going to God, I try to “rationalize” my way out of it. My Pastor says the word “rationalize” means to tell yourself “rational lies” – and I believe him. I have “justified” so many stories I must have “rational-lies-ed” some real whoppers!
In Psalm 6, David has complete trust in God. Instead of being a victim of his circumstance, he is choosing to deepen his faith by relying on God to deliver him. Remember it is only God who can put joy in our hearts and bring peace from the chaos in our lives.
Do you trust God with absolutely everything in your life? Do you talk to him like he’s your best friend or do you just go to Him in times of trouble? God desires a close and personal relationship with all of us. Prayer is the way we communicate with Him. Find time to “talk” with God throughout your day, you will be blessed if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment