Friday, July 6, 2012

My walk with Jesus is a lifelong marathon...not a sprint!

Proverbs 14 gives a contrast between the life of the wise vs. the life of a fool (or the unwise). As I read through this Proverb, there were several verses that caught my attention and forced me to ask the question “Am I choosing to live by the standard of God’s word in this area of my life?”
Our life is a daily journey to learn what God’s word says and then walk it out-loud for others to see so they may come to know the saving grace of Christ’s love. Verse 9 stopped me dead in my tracks and had me doing a little self-assessment.
“Fools don’t care if they sin, but honest people work at being right.”
The question I had to ask myself:
“Is there anything in my life that doesn’t align with the word of God and if so, am I staying there?”
Am I refusing to accept God’s truth about an area of my life? Maybe it’s not a refusal to accept the truth, maybe it’s just not trusting God to know what’s best for my life in that area. Perhaps I fall into repeated patterns where I know I’m speaking negatively about my walk with Christ. Meaning, what do others who don’t know the truth of God's word see when they watch the way I live my life?
When I come to realize what others are seeing in me that don’t line up with God’s word, I ask God to forgive me of [the specific sin] and give me the courage to  to change so my belief align with His word.
In verse 12, I stopped and had to do another self assessment.
“Some people think they are doing right, but in the end it leads to death.”
Good grief! Is there anything in my life that I think I’m doing right, but I haven’t checked  against God’s word? I want so badly to live the abundant life Christ has for me and I desire to walk in His truth in all I do. From the way I act around others, conduct myself at work, raise my child, and treat my spouse.
My prayer is that I will continue to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I have to keep telling myself that God isn’t going to change me over night. The Christian life is a “marathon, not a sprint!” My prayer is also the same for you. I pray you will live your life according to the truth of God’s word and when sin in your life is revealed, I pray you have the strength to lay it down at the foot of the cross and trust Jesus to help you grow and change.
Related reading: Gal. 5:22–23; 2 Peter 1:5-6; Titus 2:2-6; 1 Cor. 15:58

No comments:

Post a Comment