Thursday, March 21, 2013

Frazzled and worked-up by worry


1 Peter 5:7 Give all your worries to him because he cares for you.

On the heels of yesterday's post, I have to share another post written about this time last year...  I wonder if God is trying to teach me something...

Anyone who knows me can tell you that I tend to be a worrier. It had gotten so bad in recent years that it had taken over every area of my life. It seemed the harder I try not to worry, the more I stressed out and completely overboard I’d go. My anxiety attacks wreaked havoc on my health and personal relationships. I felt out of control. Have you ever been there?

While reading my Bible this morning I was gently reminded that I am not supposed to be anxious or afraid about anything. God has perfect order and control over everything, even my life. My proper response to anxiety should be to cast my cares on Christ because he cares for me (1 Peter 5:7). He has always cared for me even before I was born. He carefully knit me together in my mother’s womb (Psalm 139:13) and every day of my life, was ordained before they even came to be (Psalm 139:16).

When I feel the slightest bit of anxiety coming on, I should bring everything to God by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving (Philippians 4:6-7). Then I know the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard my heard and my mind in Christ Jesus. When my mind is guarded by Christ, anxiety and worry don’t stand a chance.

Father, I need help... help to remember that my worrying and stress will not solve anything. You didn't call me to be frazzled and worked up by worry. You called me to have a sound mind and, most importantly, trust in you. Forgive me when I get it wrong and doubt you,  Lord. Thank you for loving me, even in my weakness and thank you for the reminders (some not so gentle) to lay everything down at the foot of your cross and depend on you for absolutely everything. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment