Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Open my heart and what do you find? J - O - Y


Psalms 4 – 6 were written by David. I can just feel David crying out to God in these three chapters. In Psalms 4 and 5 David cries out to God for answered prayer. “Answer me when I call, O God of my right!” (4:1 – NRSV) “Listen to the sound of my cry, my King and my God, for to you I pray.” (5:2 – NRSV) As I continued to read both of these Psalms, David realized God would listen to his prayers. He was confident in the Lord. He knew he could lie down and sleep in peace (4:8) because he was certain the Lord was with him and would make him safe. He also knew God was his refuge in times of troubles. God was the only protection David needed (5:11) from any circumstance he faced.
In chapter 6 David pours out his soul to God. David is not holding back or hiding one single thing from God. He is being completely open and honest. 

Being completely open and honest with God is something I have had to really work on as I continue to walk each day with Christ. Some days are better than others. I don’t know why I try to hold onto things - God can see them right? I just have to give up control.  From experience, I know when I "release my grip" God pours incredible blessings over me.
In Psalm 6, David has complete trust in God. Instead of being a victim to his circumstance, he chooses to deepen his faith by relying on God to deliver him. 

Remember it is only God who can put joy in our hearts and bring peace from the chaos in our lives.
Do you trust God with absolutely everything in your life? Do you talk to him like he’s your best friend or do you just go to Him in times of trouble? 

God desires a close and personal relationship with all of us. He will put joy and peace that surpasses all understanding in our hearts. But it's up to us to communicate with Him through reading His Word and prayer. Find time to spend with God throughout your day (it doesn't have to be long...just consistent), you will be blessed if you do.

Psalm 4:1 (NIV) Answer me when I call to you, my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; have mercy on me and hear my prayer.

Psalm 5:2 (NIV) Hear my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray. 

Psalm 6:4 (NIV) Turn, Lord, and deliver me; save me because of your unfailing love.

No comments:

Post a Comment