Monday, April 29, 2013

Shielded from the rain

Psalm 28:7 (AMP) The Lord is my Strength and my [impenetrable] Shield; my heart trusts in, relies on, and confidently leans on Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart greatly rejoices, and with my song will I praise Him.
This morning as I listen to the rain falling on my roof, I am reminded of a day I had to drive down to North Carolina for a meeting. At one point on my trip, I drove into a pretty treacherous downpour of rain. It was raining so hard I could barely see the car in front of me or the road  ahead. As I drove through the rain, I realized that my car was a “shield” from the rain much like God is my impenetrable shield from the storms of life. 

In the near distance, I was able to make out an overpass. Passing under, a motorcyclist frantically tried to put on his rain gear to offer some sort "protection" from the rain. The guy was already soaked to the bone.
I couldn't help but make the analogy to those who don’t know Christ when they are going through storms of life. Where do they turn for strength? Who shields them? Who do they rely on? That day I was protected from the circumstances surrounding me by my car. Even though driving through the downpour made me nervous because I couldn't see what was going on in the distance, I was still safe from the rain. They guy on the motorcycle didn't have that security. He was doing all he could do to protect himself but he was still exposed to the elements.
The closer I walk with Christ the more I rely on Him to get through every season of my life. There isn’t anything I don’t talk to Him about. I let Him do the heavy lifting in my life because I know His word has promised me “His yoke is easy and His burden is light.” (Matthew 11:30). I know I can lean on Him and He will help me. God really does want us to come to Him and lay EVERYTHING at His feet. He wants us to confidently lean on Him.
Today, what is it that you need to lay down at His feet and rely on Him to be your shield?



Psalm 119:114 (NIV) You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.

No comments:

Post a Comment