Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Truth will defend your heart against worry

Philippians 4:6 - 7 (MSG)  Don’t fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It’s wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.

Imagine never worrying about anything. I would absolutely LOVE to know what that feels like. The harder I try not to worry...the more I worry. Now what's up with that? I truly DO NOT want to be a worrier. Yet, not worrying sometimes seems like an impossibility.
 
We all have worries; on the job, in our homes, at school, and by what we see happening in our country and across the world.  I know for me, worrying produces a feeling of anxiousness and fear of the unknown.

Paul's advice in Philippians is to turn our worries into prayers. Do you, like me, want to worry less? Then pray more. When you feel yourself beginning to worry about something, thank God for the revelation and then turn that worry into a prayer. For example: You are worried about your teenager and the group of friends he or she has decided to spend time with. Instead of worrying about what might happen as a result of this choice, pray something like this:

Father, I know you formed [insert name of son or daughter] in your image. You know everything about him/her. You are familiar with all his/her ways. You know his/her innermost thoughts and every  word that he/she will say before they even roll of his/her tongue. You have [name of son or daughter] in the palm of your hand and I know you have a plan and a purpose for his/her life. Nothing about what he/she is doing right now is a surprise to you. Because of this truth, I am choosing to give you all of these worries. You are sovereign and in control. You are my God and I will not fear because I know you will help me. In Christ's name I pray, Amen.

When I find myself praying the truths of scripture I am able to turn everything over to God and let him "deal with it". After giving my worries to him, I declare the truth over worries.  

I choose to think on things that are true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, and gracious. I choose to think about the best and not the worst; the beautiful and not the ugly. I choose to put into practice what I have learned from you God. In the name of Jesus. Amen

Allow God's truth to defend your heart against worry.

Praying you have a "worry-free" day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment