Friday, August 23, 2013

Finding a place of refuge & renewed strength

The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. Psalm 18:2 NIV

One day at work, stress overwhelmed me as I tried to meet the demands of an important deadline. Every time I tried to slow down and take a breath, someone else needed something “10 minutes ago”. The tension and anxiety grew as my heart rate increased. Taking deep breaths didn’t help cut through the chaos. I felt exposed and overpowered.

The words of a Psalm I had read earlier that morning came rushing to my mind. “The Lord is my fortress in whom I take refuge.” When I think of the word refuge, I picture a castle or fortress from long ago. Having had the opportunity to visit various castles in Europe, I remember the grandeur and strength of their structure. Long ago, castles provided protection from the outside world.

Just like the impenetrable castle walls, Jesus provides protection from the chaos of my day. He is my rock, my shield, a mighty fortress against anything the enemy throws at me…even a stressful day at work.


Lord, thank you for your refuge and renewed strength I find in the safety of your arms. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment