Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Remaining obedient

Jeremiah 35:15 (NCV) "I sent all my servants the prophets to you again and again, saying, “Each of you must stop doing evil. You must change and be good. Do not follow other gods to serve them. If you obey me, you will live in the land I have given to you and your ancestors.” But you have not listened to me or paid attention to my message."

I grew up in a Christian home where my sister and I were encouraged to live life based on biblical truth. As a young teenager, I fell hard into peer pressure and allowed the words of a “friend” to change the way I thought, felt and acted. Looking back now, I sometimes wonder what pain of I would have avoided if only I had listened.

I am currently reading through the book of Jeremiah in my daily quiet time. Jeremiah, the last prophet before the fall of Judah, served God for 40 years. During this time, he urged God’s people (the Israelite ) to turn from their sin and return to God or face the consequences of their disobedience. Those consequences? Complete destruction of the nation and the exile of the people. Do you think the Israelites listened? Nope… they ignored, rejected and persecuted Jeremiah.

Even though the entire nation is turning a deaf ear to Jeremiah, he still tries to reach them before it’s too late. In chapter 35, he uses the Rechabite clan as an example of obedience even when “being obedient” wasn’t the coolest thing to do. For over 200 years the Rechabites kept the commands passed down by their forefathers. While the rest of the nation of Israel was breaking its covenant with God, the Rechabites held tight to their commitment to not drink wine. In the end, their obedience would lead to eternal rewards while Israel faced the consequences of their disobedience.

I think this story speaks volumes…especially in the time we live in. Since the beginning of time, God desires to have a relationship with us but our disobedience gets in the way. Will you be obedient, turn from your sin and listen for his guiding voice? Or, will you “go your own way” because it’s “what’s best for you” and face eternal consequences?


I encourage you today to do some soul searching to see if there is any area of disobedience in your life. If there is, repent, turn back to God and be eternally rewarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment