Friday, September 13, 2013

Persistence gets us everywhere!!!

Luke 18:1-8 (MSG) Jesus told them a story showing that it was necessary for them to pray consistently and never quit. He said, There was once a judge in some city who never gave God a thought and cared nothing for people. A widow in that city kept after him: ‘My rights are being violated. Protect me!’ He never gave her the time of day. But after this went on and on he said to himself, ‘I care nothing what God thinks, even less what people think. But because this widow won’t quit badgering me, I’d better do something and see that she gets justice—otherwise I’m going to end up beaten black-and-blue by her pounding.  Then the Master said, “Do you hear what that judge, corrupt as he is, is saying? So what makes you think God won’t step in and work justice for his chosen people, who continue to cry out for help? Won’t he stick up for them? I assure you, he will. He will not drag his feet. But how much of that kind of persistent faith will the Son of Man find on the earth when he returns?”

I love the way God chooses to reveal Himself to us when we “sit still” and truly listen for His voice. This morning in my quiet time with Him, He reminded me to "be persistent" in my prayer life. You see, I am in the first week of a 40 day prayer fast. Over the next 40 days I am committed to praying for something very specific…CHANGE…not just a change in me, but a change in my family dynamic. It’s a huge request…but I believe God hears me, is faithful, and will honor my bold and persistent prayers.

The reminder this morning came from Luke 18:1-8. In these verses, Jesus tells a parable about a persistent widow. A widow consistently comes before this judge (day after day) asking him to grant her justice because her rights had been violated. Because of her persistence, take a look at how the judge responds:

"But because this widow won’t quit badgering me, I’d better do something and see that she gets justice—otherwise I’m going to end up beaten black-and-blue by her pounding." (MSG Luke 18:5)

This woman was not going to give up until something happened. I believe she would have gone back to this judge until her feet couldn’t carry her anymore…and the judge knew that.

Jesus goes on to explain the way His disciples (this includes us) can apply that to their everyday lives:

“So what makes you think God won’t step in and work justice for his chosen people, who continue to cry out for help? Won’t he stick up for them? I assure you, he will.”

If an unfair judge responds after constant pressure…how much more will our loving heavenly Father respond to us?


As I continue to walk out my faith, I must constantly keep my requests before God and believe that He will answer (when His timing is right...not mine). Furthermore, when I am persistent in my prayer life, I know I grow character, faith, hope and most importantly…closer to Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment