Thursday, September 19, 2013

You can't beat God's color palette

Psalm 8:3-8 (NLT) When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers—the moon and the stars you set in place— what are mere mortals that you should think about them, human beings that you should care for them? Yet you made them only a little lower than God and crowned them with glory and honor. You gave them charge of everything you made, putting all things under their authority— the flocks and the herds and all the wild animals, the birds in the sky, the fish in the sea, and everything that swims the ocean currents.”

When I stop and actually think about “the works of God’s fingers” I am completely humbled and overwhelmingly amazed. The weather is changing now and I can’t help but stand in awe during this time of year as the trees usher in their magnificent colors. I am unquestionably blown away by the breathtaking beauty of God’s creation. For me, it shows up best in sunrises and sunsets. I love the pictures I can make in my mind when I allow myself to get lost in the vibrancy of the sky’s many colors. So many times, I have pulled over while driving to simply marvel at the awe-inspiring beauty of a morning or evening sky. The immeasurable assortment of color gets me every time.
When I was a child, weekend getaways and family vacations we’re most often to campgrounds and places we could go within a day’s drive. While riding along, I’d gaze through the window up to the sky and make pictures and stories out of the clouds. Have you ever tried to do that?
I have made so many stories out of the clouds. It’s a toss-up to even pick a favorite but perhaps one story I always tried to find myself in the middle of is one that took place as the sun was slowly setting. This cloud formation looked like a little island in the middle of a beautiful body of crystal blue water. As my mind allowed, I wondered what it would be like to be on a boat sailing up to visit the island. As I watched and the sun continued to go down, “the island” and surrounding “water” brought forth the most radiant colors I have ever seen. Still concentrating on the clouds, the lush hues of color and “waves” that look like waterfalls held me captive. WOW! Is God good with his color palette or what?
Come back from “the islands” with me. I know it’s easy to get lost there; well it is for me anyway. I guess what I am trying to say is we look at his creation and think, ”WOW, look what God did!” and then sometimes look at our lives and feel as if we don’t exist to him at all. But we do exist! In fact Psalm 8 says that “God crowned us with glory and honor” and has given us “dominion over the works of our hands and put all things under our feet.” God has declared us valuable!

There is a praise and worship song that I love to sing because it reminds me of my “cloud” pictures and the greatness of God.

I stand in awe of the One who made the mountains; I stand in awe of the one who calmed the sea. And I’m amazed that the Lord of all creation is the One who longs for me, He longs for me.

In addition to the “cloud” pictures, this little chorus reminds me that:

·         God wants to (not because he has to) be in relationship with me.

·         God loves me with an everlasting love. (Jeremiah 31:3)

·         He desires to spend time with me and talk to me. (Revelation 3:20)

·         He wants to guide me and provide for me. (Psalm 23)

·         He wants to give me the desires of my heart because he loves giving gifts to his children. (Psalm 37:4, Matthew 7:11)

·         He wants to give me hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11)

The next time you see something breathtaking in God’s creation, let it remind you that even though He created the expanse of the universe …his heart’s DESIRE is to have a close personal relationship with you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment