Friday, October 25, 2013

A golden apple in a silver bowl


Proverbs 25:11 (NCV) The right word spoken at the right time is as beautiful as gold apples in a silver bowl.

 
Sometimes words roll out of my mouth and I do everything humanly possible to “shove” them back in. But once they’re out there…there is no way of putting them back. Now sometimes this is a good thing and at other times, not so much. Solomon reminds us in Proverbs 25 that “the right word spoken at the right time is beautiful.” I didn’t get too far away from this verse before I had to ask myself a question, “Are my words spoken at the right time, or am I careless with what comes out of my mouth?” As I pondered this truth, Paul’s words to the church at Ephesus came to mind:

Ephesians 4:29 (NCV) When you talk, do not say harmful things, but say what people need—words that will help others become stronger. Then what you say will do good to those who listen to you.

An honest look at the things I say and the way I say them tells me I can be careless at times and really “zap” the people around me. I become the worst version of myself when careless words spring from my mouth and this helps no one.

I want the words that come out of my mouth to be honoring to God and used to intentionally build people up. As I take another look at Proverbs 25:11, I know the right word spoken at the right time will be beautiful…as beautiful as a golden apple sparkling in a nicely polished silver bowl.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment