Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The never-ending thirst quencher

Zechariah 13:1 (GW) The Lord declares, “On that day a fountain will be opened for David’s family and for those who live in Jerusalem to wash away their sin and stain.

This morning in my quiet time I read through the last few chapters of Zechariah (chapters 9 - 14). In these chapters Zechariah gave several prophecies about the 1st and 2nd coming of Christ. But it was verse 1 of chapter 13 that caught my eye and reminded me of God's never-ending fountain of forgiveness and mercy.

The reference to a never-ending fountain reminded me the Samaritan woman (John 4: 7 - 14) at the well. She was going about the activity of her daily life. Carrying her empty bucket, the woman went to the well to draw water. When she arrived, she bumped into Jesus who offered her so much more than just ordinary water. He offered to fill her with  soul-quenching water that would bring hope, healing and eternal satisfaction. With the water Jesus gave, she’d never be thirsty again.

As I continued to think about the different places in the Bible that refer to water, I got a mental image of a river flowing from the very throne of God (Ezekiel 47:1-12 and Revelation 22:1-2). The river mentioned in these two passages of scripture refer to a life-giving body of water giving fullness of life and bringing eternal satisfaction of our spiritual thirst.

Because of my allergies coupled with the cold I've had the last few days I have become spiritually thirsty because I didn't have my quiet time nor did I draw close to the Lord in my time of prayer.  Today, as I read over the words in Zechariah, John, Ezekiel, and Revelation my thirst was quenched as I drew in a big gulp from God’s life-giving river. Its waters washed over me and renewed/refreshed my thirsty spirit.

Are you “thirsty” today? I encourage you to step into the river of the Spirit and drink deeply. There you will find refreshment and renewal for your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment