Friday, December 6, 2013

The gift of friendship

2 Corinthians 1:3-5 “All praise to the God and Father of our Master, Jesus the Messiah! Father of all mercy! God of all healing counsel! He comes alongside us when we go through hard times, and before you know it, he brings us alongside someone else who is going through hard times so that we can be there for that person just as God was there for us. We have plenty of hard times that come from following the Messiah, but no more so than the good times of his healing comfort—we get a full measure of that, too.”
Have you ever felt like your situation was so bad that no one could possibly understand what you were going through or how you were feeling? I know I sure have. I have been in valleys so low that I knew I was the only person on the planet who was having to walk through those circumstances. I thought I was all alone and there was NO ONE who could understand what I was feeling or my heartache. Anyone with me?
Looking at the verses above I see now that I am not alone and neither are you. God Himself comes alongside us when we walk through the toughest times of our lives and then places people in our path who have experienced similar circumstances. He never intended for us to face this world on our own. He provide friends to help us and support us. Biblical examples would be the friendship between David and Jonathan and Naomi and Ruth. I thank God daily for the incredible people He has placed in my life. Some have been there specifically to help me become a better person and encourage me to keep going. Others are there to help me see that I am not sitting in a great big boat alone hopelessly rowing.
God understands what we need, when we need it. I have felt His love show up through people in the deepest darkest valleys of my life. People who know the pain I feel because they have experienced it firsthand. God uses them as an instrument of His love, mercy and grace. Once on the other side of the dark valley, I can pass the comfort I have received on to others.
God will use hurts (or trials of any kind) in our lives to grow us, increase our faith, and to lift others up in their times of trouble.
Rest assured! We can find comfort to weather any storm in the One who created us all. He will not leave us or forsake us no matter what situation we find ourselves in.
Related Scripture: Isaiah 66:13; Psalm 34:18; Psalm 18: 1-6

No comments:

Post a Comment