Wednesday, January 22, 2014

What do cut fingers and snow have in common?

Great reminder from a slip of the hand

On this bright and sunny morning I set out to clean the cooktop in my kitchen. It appears my cleaning job last night was spotty at best. I guess I was just too caught up in the beauty of the falling snow. Yep that’s right…SNOW.

The region I live in typically doesn't see a great deal of snow. Sometimes it a few years between a good “snowman” building snow so we tend to enjoy every second when we do see accumulations greater than an inch.

Anyway, this morning I noticed my less than desirable cooktop cleaning job and set out to make it right. With paper towels and cleaner in hand I went about my work until… my hand slipped driving the top of my ring finger into the corner of the trim piece of the cooktop. I knew it broke the skin immediately and when I looked, the blood confirmed my thought. Since the paper towel I was using was the last one on the roll (go figure) I ran to the bathroom for a tissue and applied pressure to my finger.

As i waited for the blood to stop, i thought about how amazingly complex we all are. This tiny cut on the top of my finger produced a considerable amount of pain. As I looked at my finger my eyes wandered down to my wrist. With pain throbbing at the tip of my finger, I tried to but couldn’t even begin to imagine the pain Christ felt as the spikes were being driven through his wrists and then the tops of his feet.

What pain that must have been. But why would he endure all that pain? I was reminded of the answer when I looked at the blanket of white snow covering my front lawn just outside the bathroom window.

Christ died so he could cover our sin (all sin: past, present, and future) and make us white as snow when we stood in front of God. If we have asked Jesus to come into our hearts, we are washed clean by His blood and are seen just like blanket of snow…white.

This morning I woke up to the ground covered by the nights snowfall. After I accepted Christ as my Savior, I too am covered by His cleanings blood. Today, when my finger throbs or I see the blanket of snow outside, I will praise the Lord for the sacrifice made on Calvary to cover my sin.

Isaiah 1:18 (NIV)
“Come now, let us settle the matter,” says the Lord. “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.”

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Sheri! You are very good at communicating through words. Praise God! He is so good!

    ReplyDelete