Thursday, February 27, 2014

Sometimes Not Knowing is a Good Thing

The Secret Keeper

Deuteronomy 29:29 (NCV)  There are some things the Lord our God has kept secret, but there are some things he has let us know. These things belong to us and our children forever so that we will do everything in these teachings.

Are you a “secret” keeper? When someone asks you if you can keep a secret, do you listen and then hide what was revealed somewhere down deep? I think I’ve been a “secret” keeper since I was 5 years-old. My father and I were out Christmas shopping for my Mom. When we finally found the perfect gift, Dad asked me not to tell my mom what we purchased. He explained that if I told her what her gift was, she wouldn't be a surprise on Christmas day.  I guess this made sense to me so I kept the identity of the gift a secret. Try as she may, I never revealed the contents of the package.

Sometimes there are really good reasons for us not to know things. In Deuteronomy 29:29 we learn that God has kept some things secret from us. Have you ever wondered why? This morning as I read over this verse, I was reminded of the tiny little secret I kept as a 5-year-old. It was an innocent little secret not meant to hurt anyone. It was simply not the time to reveal the contents of the gift. My dad’s intent was to surprise my mom.

When I think about why God keeps secrets, I don’t think He’s unfair or trying to “keep” something from us just to zap us. God is not unfair or unjust. His character, revealed through scripture, is completely the opposite.  God is light (1 John 1:5), love (1 John 4:8) and He is full of peace (1 Cor. 14:33). “The Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments.” (Deuteronomy 7:9 – NIV)  He loves us so much (John 3:16). He even calls us His children...heirs (Romans 8:17). 

So why would he keep “secrets”? The notes in my study Bible offers 3 possibilities:
  1. Our finite minds can’t fully understand the infinite aspects of God’s nature and the universe (Ecc. 3:11)
  2. Some things are unnecessary for us know until we are more mature
  3. God is infinite and all-knowing, and we do not have the capacity to know everything He does

Number 2 really spoke to me this morning. I know there have been several times in my life where I would not have grown in my faith and trust in God if I would have known what He knew. Might I suggest to you that “not knowing” allows us to draw closer to our heavenly Father.

The Bible does reveal everything we need to know to put our trust in Him, obey Him, serve Him, and grow in our faith. If we choose to disobey, it’s not because of a lack of knowledge…it’s an act of OUR will.


No comments:

Post a Comment