Thursday, May 22, 2014

"Being Still" is the hardest part

Psalm 46:10 (NCV) God says, "Be still and know that I am God.”
I had another “a-ha” moment with God the other day thanks to a catchy jingle I heard on television. I think it was for a local car dealership, but my mind didn’t wander to cars or the amenities I needed in one. Instead, I found myself thinking about a point I had heard in a sermon a few months back. Strange how God works sometimes isn’t it? Anyway, the jingle went something like this “I want it all, and I want it now!” Advertisers...they have an uncanny knack of feeding the “I must have it all and I must have it right now” craving don’t they?
I have to admit, when I “WANT” to do something, especially when it’s something I am passionate about, I tend to lean in the “I WANT IT NOW” direction. Most of the time, I’ve ended up falling flat on my face. Not because I haven’t tried hard enough mind you, but because I was trying to take “shortcuts” to get there. I was trying to go on my own time table and in my own strength and not relying on God’s strength or His timing. What my “I want it right now” mentality failed to realize is that God wasn’t done with the “preparation and equipping” phase of my training. “Ah!” there’s the essential key I kept missing to reach my desired goal.
Having taken the “I WANT IT NOW” test a time or two, I FINALLY decided to take a step back and look at what I believe God has called me to do. During many stages of my growth in Christ, I have asked myself questions such as: 
What is God’s purpose for my life on this Earth? 
What specific task does He want me to accomplish? 
Am I fully equipped for what He has called me to do?  

If the answer is “NO” or “I’m not sure” to these questions then God is, more than likely, calling me to something more specific. 

So, through prayer and seeking His guidance, I need to listen for His voice telling me to move forward. Until He moves me, I have to go back to the waiting phase. During the wait, I have take steps to begin further developing the gifts God gave me so that I can become more specific about my purpose.
This time, while I’m in the equipping phase (whether it’s 10 days or 10 years) you won’t catch me sitting idle. I will continue to seek for the wisdom, guidance, direction, and peace that can only come from Him. I will trust, obey, and P-U-S-H! (Pray-Until-Something-Happens) Instead of “rushing out” ahead of Him and falling flat on my face, I’m waiting on His perfect timing.
Is there something that you’re passionate about doing but for some reason things aren’t working out the way you thought they would? You may be in the equipping phase too. Learn all that you can while you are there. Continue to praise God with all that you are and all that you have. Then when you’ve done all you need to do…wait on His timing…it’s always perfect!
Psalm 5-3 Lord, every morning you hear my voice. Every morning, I tell you what I need, and I wait for your answer.

Psalm 27:14 Wait for the Lord's help. Be strong and brave, and wait for the Lord's help.

Isaiah 40:31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

No comments:

Post a Comment