Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Do you have a "trusted other"?

Proverbs 9:6 Leave your simple ways and you will live; walk in the way of insight.”
Proverbs 9:10 “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.”
Proverbs 9 looks specifically at both wisdom and foolishness. Reading through the entire book of Proverbs I have “heard” wisdom’s voice – but did I apply the wisdom I heard to my life?
In the very first verse of this Proverb I read “Wisdom has built her house.” Meaning I can’t expect to be wise all of a sudden. It’s a continual process that takes time. Wisdom begins by stopping my foolish ways (v. 6) and starting to respect the Lord (v. 10).  I have to grow in Him; learn from Him; listen to Him and to the advice of trusted others. 
It is important to stop here and define who a “trusted other” is. A “trusted other” is someone who has gained wisdom themselves by putting their faith, hope and trust in the Lord.  I urge you not to go to “friends” seeking guidance for your life when they themselves are not walking in the light of Christ. It is so important to seek out friends that have already obtained the wisdom we desire. Friends that haven’t obtained the wisdom we desire can lead us astray.
Proverbs 9:17 warns “stolen water is sweeter, and food eaten in secret tastes better.” I know that I can get wrapped up in the “things” of this world. After all, if sin wasn’t so much fun no one would do it… right? Take a look at what the very next verse, verse 18has to say. “But these people don’t know that everyone who goes there dies, that her guests end up deep in the grave.”
Well meaning friends who don’t know Christ can lead us down a worldly path to death and destruction. I am trying to live a life that honors Christ, so it is up to me to seek out those friends who give me Godly counsel.
Proverbs 9 verse 11 says when we live wisely; we will live life to its fullest – because wisdom adds years to our lives (v. 11).
Related reading: Matthew 7:13 – 14, Matthew 7:21 – 23, Galatians 6: 7 – 8, Matthew 6:24, Romans 6:23

No comments:

Post a Comment