Thursday, June 7, 2012

What do you reach for when times get tough?

Proverbs 7: 1 – 3 (NIV) “My son, keep my words and store up my commands within you. Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye. Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart.”
In the verses above, the writer is encouraging his son to remember everything that he has said. He tells his son to treasure his commands and obey them so he (the son) will live. When you treasure something what do you do? Let’s say you’ve been given an award or certificate of achievement. Are you going to read it once and throw it in a drawer never to be seen again? Chances are, probably not. You’re most likely going to hang it up and read it over again and again.
This is what we should do with God’s word, not that I’m suggesting hanging your Bibles on your walls, but there are many “treasures” of scripture in the Bible that can help us through whatever situation we’re facing.
Proverbs 7:3 says to “Remind yourself of them; write them on your hearts as if on a tablet.”
Want to know how to deal with a situation in your life? Go to the word of God and find the answers there. Whenever I am struggling with an issue, I like to look for the truth about the issue in God’s word. When I have found scripture telling me what the truth is, I write it down in a small notebook I carry around with me.
When I’m having a bad day, the notebook is what I reach for first. I find reading through a few of the scripture verses reminds me of the truth and God’s promises. Just a few moments in my notebook and my focus is back on Christ and not caught up in the “stuff” of this world.
So, what do you reach for when time get tough?
Related reading: John 14:15; 1 Timothy 4: 7-8; Hebrews 12:1; 1 Cor. 15: 57 - 58

No comments:

Post a Comment