Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A very important dinner guest

Luke 10: 41-42 (NCV) But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things. Only one thing is important. Mary has chosen the better thing, and it will never be taken away from her."
In my quiet moments with Jesus this morning, He used the story of His visit with Mary and Martha to remind me of my own tendencies to get so worked up over the “little things” that I lose sight of what’s really important. Like Martha, I can be so distracted by the task at hand I miss what God is trying to teach me in or through the moment.
In Luke chapter 10, Jesus had come to visit the home of his friends, Mary and Martha. Both women are blessed with the gift of hospitality; however, they show it in completely different ways. Put yourself in their shoes for use a minute. Just imagine Jesus showing up at your door. You welcome Him into your home, as He takes a seat among the other guests what is your next move? Are you more like Martha or Mary? Let's take a look at how they responded - not taken out of context but with a modern day twist added.
Martha:
“Hi Jesus!” barely taking a breath “Welcome!” quickly hugging his neck and practically pulling him into the house you continue “Come in, come in take your sandals off and stay for a while. Please, make yourself at home.” Jesus makes it through the door and you quickly walk him into the next room where the others have gathered. “Pull up a seat, do you need anything?” Not even giving Jesus a chance to answer the question you continue, “I’ll be back in just a few minutes, I just have to finish up a few things in the kitchen.” With that, you are gone. As you peer through the kitchen window you see Jesus in the center of your guests. He is talking and everyone around Him is intently listening. Your agitation grows because you’re stuck in the kitchen working while everyone else is enjoying His presence. In this moment, what is going through your mind? How are you feeling?
Mary:
“Jesus I’m so glad you’re here!” throwing your arms around him, you give him a big warm and welcoming hug. “Won’t you please come in? It looks like you’re tired. Would you like to take off your sandals and rest your feet for a while? Please come in and sit down.” You gently take his hand and lead him into the room where the others have gathered. “Here is the most comfortable seat in the house, won’t you please sit down?” holding the chair so it doesn’t slide out from under him. “Can I get you a pillow for your feet?” you ask him gently. “Is there anything I can do to make you more comfortable?” you ask. “No? Ok then. If there is anything I can get for you please just ask and I will get it right away.” You sit at his feet and listen as He begins to speak. In this moment, what is going through your mind? How are you feeling?
I would hope and pray that if Jesus came to visit my house I would be more like Mary, but in all honesty I know me… and the opposite is probably true…I would be more like Martha. Not that there is anything wrong with making sure guests are happy, it’s just, in this case, the priority is out of whack. Spending time at Jesus’s feet and learning from Him is something that can never be taken away from us. Making sure the dishes and laundry and done before we pick up the Bible are not going to get us any closer to Christ or the abundant life He desires for us.
God doesn't want the busyness of life to become a barrier to knowing Christ. Let me encourage you to spend time in His word every day. I promise the other things will fall into place. They always do for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment