Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Change that makes a difference

Proverbs 11:1 (NIV) The LORD detests dishonest scales, but accurate weights find favor with him.
Proverbs 11:2 (NIV) When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.
Proverbs 11:25 (NIV) A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.

As I read through Proverbs 11, I noticed how Solomon encourages us to live long lives by being honest (v.1), humble (v2), and serving others (v25). In this Proverb, Solomon gives us practical advice to ensure our lives align with the truth of God’s word if we would but heed it. So now, as I sit here, I have to give myself a little self assessment to see how I’m doing and encourage you to do the same.

Am I being 100% honest in the way I conducted myself at work? Am I giving a full 8 hours for a full 8 hours pay? I have really started working on this recently. Have I been taking company time to do personal stuff? You may be saying to yourself, “It doesn’t matter that I use company time to do personal business, the action is good.” While the action may be good, it is still dishonest in the fact that company time was being used.
Reading through the rest of the Proverb, verse 25 also jumped out at me.  Whoever gives to others will get richer; those who help others will themselves be helped.”

Every time I see a verse on giving or service, my mind goes to Jesus in the upper room washing the disciples’ feet. He gave so much – he served all of his disciples – even the one who would betray him. So what does that say to me? I must follow the example set by Jesus Christ. I must serve sacrificially – but not to “get rich” as the world would see those words – but to “get rich” by God’s standards – that is to inherit the treasures that are stored up in heaven. WOW! What will that be like I wonder? I can even fathom how it would look. What are you imagining in your mind?
So, are you changing to become more like Christ in all you do? May I challenge you today to reflect on the words you say; the way you conduct yourself at work; and the way you serve others.

Related scripture: 2 Corinthians 5:17, Romans 8:9, Philippians 2:12 – 13,
2 Corinthians 9:8

No comments:

Post a Comment