Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My mask is off... and it's ok!


Acts 2: 46b - 47a (NIV) “They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people…”
For the past few weeks we have been in a series of messages and small group lessons centered on Christian Community. If  you would have asked me years ago about being a part of a loving community – people who know and you and accept you as you are – I would have more than likely with a sarcastic “yeah, right!” But my life was forever changed 12 years ago when I fully left my “old life” behind and committed to embracing my “new life” in Christ.
I attend a cell-based church. We meet on Sunday mornings for a regular church service and then once during the week in smaller settings in group members’ homes. These groups are typically made up of 10 to 14 adults. It’s in the smaller group setting that I’ve been personally challenged to work on the areas of my life that were not so Christ-like. The relationships I’ve found through these groups are the most genuine friendships I’ve ever had in my life. I can tell these people anything without fear of it being “front page news” the next day. I can be honest and real. It’s in these “real moments” that my life changes and my faith in Christ grows.
Our community group is a picture of the Acts 2 church in a modern-day setting. We share meals together, we gather today to sing praise, pray, and encourage one another in our faith. When someone has a heavy burden, the group rallies to share the weight (Ecc. 4:12). I never have to worry about “being accepted” or walking through “tough stuff” alone, I am always encouraged, supported, and loved by my “sisters and brothers” in Christ. The mask I wore for so long is off and I am exposed and it’s ok with me because I know I am loved and more importantly I am not alone. My group members are a treasured gift and I believe each time week meet, Jesus is right there with us.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment