Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Join me on a life-giving journey


Proverbs 9:6 (MSG) Leave your impoverished confusion and live! Walk up the street to a life with meaning.

 The book of Proverbs, written by King Solomon son of David, was given to us to: gain wisdom and instruction, give us an understanding of wise words, teach us how to be wise and self-controlled, and teach us to do what is honest, fair and right. (Proverbs 1:1–6)

When we grow in the wisdom and knowledge of God, we learn to fear him. This fear isn’t like being afraid for your safety…its reverential fear. Reverential fear is an understanding of a holy God, his character, his ways, how to live according to his word.

While reading Proverbs 9, I was reminded of why it’s important to leave the “worldly” and walk in the way of insight and meaning. This world has us believe that worldly “fun” is the only way to live life to the fullest. Not true. Fun in this world leads to sin and sin leads to death…eternal death. Eternal death – is no really something I’m interested in…what about you?
 
What I want to do is live an abundant life based on what God has for me. Every promise in God’s word is available to me and leads to true happiness and eternal life. But how will I truly know what those promises are if I don’t search for wisdom and truth like an adventurer on a treasure hunt? My journey through the Proverbs has taught me how to grow in wisdom and see the consequences for those who don’t.

I encourage you to take a walk through the book of Proverbs and see for yourself. The book is comprised of 31 chapters. I challenge you to read a chapter a day for the next 3 or 4 months. I know some months have 30 days and February has 28 or 29 depending on leap year – but dig in to this book and really listen to what God is saying to you. Each time I read it, I’m amazed at how much I still need to grow in knowledge, understanding and wisdom. Sometimes, I even see where I am still walking according to the world’s ways. I’m so thankful for that insight because it is only through this revelation I can turn away from those ways and walk more closely with Christ and everything he has for me.

What do you say? Will you join me on a journey through the book of Proverbs?

No comments:

Post a Comment