Monday, February 18, 2013

Responding to the "Button Pushers" in our life

Romans 8:28 (HCSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose.

 I have just walked through a REALLY challenging weekend with my son. He certainly knows my buttons and how to push them…even the very last one. You know the one don’t you? The button all the way over to the right that, when pushed, turns you into the VERY worst version of yourself. Perhaps your child or someone in your life has pushed yours and you’ve been there too. The button goes off and the angry person inside of you comes out. I know that’s what happens when my last button was set off this weekend. He pushed it and the raving lunatic in me came out. After everything was said and done, I felt AWFUL. I don’t want to be that type of parent. If want to be stern yes, but angry…ABSOLUTELY NOT.

 The purpose of my discipline should be to teach him right from wrong. But when he sees my fly off of the handle (like I did this weekend) what is he really seeing? I don’t think it’s a reflection of Christ that’s for sure. Whoever said “parenting isn’t easy” was right.  It really takes a great deal of p-p-p-patience. I think I am lacking in that area just a bit. Ugh…patience…I guess I know where I need to grow to be more like Christ. My frustration and anger should not be my cause for discipline. After all, that’s not how God disciplines us. He is full of mercy and grace, slow to anger and abounds in love. (Ex. 34:6, Numbers 14:18, Nehemiah 9:17, Psalm 86:15, 103:8, 145:8, Joel 2:13, Jonah 4:2) 

Last night during a time of worship at a church event, I was reminded of how God uses everything for the good of those who love Him. Even the times our buttons get pushed and we fly off the handle. I believe He will use the events of this weekend in my son’s life as well because I believe my son has been called according to God’s purpose. As I heard myself singing the words “and I’ll sing because you are good, and I’ll dance because you are good, and I’ll shout because you are good, you are good to me” I was reminded of all the good things Christ has done in my life. He is working out His perfect plan in me and I can see where he has used the good and the bad to bring me to where I am at this very moment. Sometimes I just lose sight of this truth.

I do want my son to see God’s goodness through me not the human side that becomes a maniac mommy when her buttons are pushed. During worship time last night I thanked the Lord for what He was doing in my life, and asked Him to forgive me for the way I responded to my child over the weekend. I also committed to:

·         love with God’s love,
·         discipline the way He would have me to discipline,
·         and to show His characteristics to my son.

You know, God will use everything in your life too…we were all made on purpose for a purpose. He doesn’t want us to be “stuck” by the events of our life. He wants us to transformed by them according to His purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment