Thursday, February 7, 2013

My search for Wisdom

My journey through the book of Proverbs continued this morning in Chapter 7. In the first few verses I was reminded of how important it is to memorize God’s word. In this particular chapter, Solomon write about wisdom guarding us from immorality but it was the very first verse that I was reminded of how many times I had read “keep my word” and “keep my commandments and live.”

I quickly asked myself a question “Why are doing these things so important?” My immediate response had a 3-part answer.

1.    So that I may know the truth of God’s word.
2.    So that I can be strong and trust in the Lord during times of temptation.
3.    So that I may know the very characteristics of God and grow in wisdom.

By reading the Bible, I have learned that God is the true source of all wisdom. There have been so many times in my life where I’ve completely stepped off of the path God has for me and taken roads I know shouldn’t have gone down. Those roads always left me completely empty. My lack of wisdom led me to follow the ways of the world. I didn’t have the word of God living inside me to guide me at all.

This world looks to other sources such as philosophers, gurus, fortune tellers, political leaders, the stars – both celebrities and the ones in the sky, even tea leaves to give them direction for living. This way doesn’t lead to life or wisdom. It the end, it only leads to ruin and brings eternal death.

Wisdom is found only in God. Through the reading of his word, the Bible, and learning to obey the commands found there. Furthermore, it gives us examples of what we should and shouldn’t do. I’ve heard many people say that the Bible is an out dated rule book and isn’t relevant to today at all. I would strongly disagree. It’s our personal road map point out safe routes and obstacles to avoid on the journey to our eternal destination. It provides encouragement, hope, security, and is the ultimate reminder of how valuable we are to God. God loves us and wants to be in relationship with us so much that he sent his one and only son to die a brutal death so that we could spend eternity with him. To me, the Bible is a love letter not a set of rules to follow.

The rewards of finding wisdom are great. I like the way the Message paraphrases Proverbs 2:1-6. This passage encourages me to understand that the more I search for wisdom, the more I will know God and know his plans for my life.

Proverbs 2:1-6 (MSG) Good friend, take to heart what I’m telling you; collect my counsels and guard them with your life. Tune your ears to the world of Wisdom; set your heart on a life of Understanding. That’s right—if you make Insight your priority, and won’t take no for an answer, Searching for it like a prospector panning for gold, like an adventurer on a treasure hunt, Believe me, before you know it Fear-of-God will be yours; you’ll have come upon the Knowledge of God. Only the Lord gives wisdom; he gives knowledge and understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment