Friday, February 15, 2013

Pride vs. Humility: Who's winning the battle in your life?


Proverbs 15:22 (MSG) Refuse good advice and watch your plans fail; take good counsel and watch them succeed.

Have you ever had anyone come to you for advice? I have. What breaks my heart in this situation is, I’ve personally experienced what they are walking through and have learned some very tough lessons yet, they don’t listen nor take the advice I’m giving. What is that I wonder? I had to turn the searchlight inward to find answers.

I’ve been reading through the book of Proverbs this month and what I’ve noticed in the first 15 chapters is the way Solomon encourages us to find, search for, and strive to obtain wisdom. To do this, he tells us to seek God and to look for people who will give Godly counsel. If you are a Christ follower, would you want to heed the words written for us in the Bible, especially when it comes to growing in our relationship with Christ and the people he loves? I would think so.

I know in times past I have sought counsel and not take the sound and biblically centered advice given. What did I do that? Maybe I really wasn’t ready to receive their counsel or perhaps, I was allowing my PRIDE to get in the way of listening. Hummmm. It does me no good to seek Godly advice and then not follow it. Real love for God is shown by not merely asking for direction, but by following it once given. 

Proverbs 15:22 was a great reminder of the way I used to seek advice and the way I receive it now. Every time I asked for advice, and didn’t take or act on it, things blew up in my face. Why, because I really wasn’t listening to begin with. I had a pride problem. I thought I knew best but that was just one of Satan’s lies to keep me hidden behind my pride. Pride puffed me up so I couldn’t see the truth. Once I realized I had been “hiding”, my eyes were open to the advice I had been given. When I learned the truth, I repented and then allowed God to change my heart and replace pride with humility. It was through this place of humility I could sincerely say “I need help” or ‘’I was wrong.”

Only by laying down my pride could I ask for and receive advice. Now, after I receive advice from a trusted friend, I check it against the word of God. If the advice given doesn’t align with God’s word, I reject it and continue to search for Godly advice and wisdom through the scriptures.

Proverbs 13:10 (NIV) Where there is strife, there is pride, but wisdom is found in those who take advice.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment