Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A Peace like no other

As I continue to prepare my heart for Easter Sunday, I spent my quiet time in the 14th chapter John's gospel. Jesus is still in the upper room with the disciples where He has just taught them a very valuable lesson on how to serve others, even the two who would betray and deny him. He begins to tell his disciples about going away to prepare a place for them. He knows the disciples are worried about him leaving. If you were one of them, wouldn’t you be? Just think about that for a moment. You have spent the past three years of your life with Jesus witnessing all the miracles. Now he’s going away and you can’t go with him. I think I’d be a bit worried and want to go with him.
But listen to his voice. Is there something different about it? "Don't let this throw you. You trust God, don't you? Trust me. There is plenty of room for you in my Father's home. If that weren't so, would I have told you that I'm on my way to get a room ready for you? And if I'm on my way to get your room ready, I'll come back and get you so you can live where I live. And you already know the road I'm taking." (The Message  John 14:1 – 4)

I’m not sure the disciples understood exactly what Jesus meant by all of this or what was coming for that matter. But Jesus promised them he wouldn’t leave them hanging. In fact, he told them in his absence he would send them Holy Spirit - a Helper - the Spirit of truth - who would be with them forever. "The world cannot accept him, because it doesn't see him or know him. But you know him because he lives with you and he will be in you." (NCV John 14:16 - 17) 
Jesus knew exactly what was in store for his disciples in the weeks ahead and was trying to prepare them. "I leave you peace; my peace I give you." (NCV John 14: 27) But ordinary peace wouldn’t be the only thing he would give them. "My peace" he told them “is what I will give you.” WOW! Think about that. The God of the Universe in human form promised he would give HIS PEACE. He wasn’t offering it to them (or us for that matter) as the world gives. How does the world give peace? By telling us we have to go to some deserted island and live there all by ourselves for the rest of our lives or by keeping up with the Joneses? I think I’ve heard that a time or two. What about you?

Jesus offered HIS PEACE. Peace that surpasses all understanding (Phil 4:7). PEACE that he can calm the most treacherous storm (Luke 8:22 - 25). PEACE that he will be with us on top of every mountain and at the bottom of the deepest pit. PEACE that he carried the sin of the world on his shoulders (John 1:29). PEACE that he paid the debt for your sin and for my sin and for the sin of the world in full by being nailed to an old rugged cross and PEACE that he didn't let DEATH stop him. PEACE that he rose again and sits at the right hand of the Father interceding for you and for me. PEACE that he will come back for us and we will be with him for ETERNITY. Now that is peaceful... wouldn't you say?
This week as you go about your daily activities try to set aside time to thank him for who he is and for what he did for you that day on Calvary. Thank him for the PEACE that only he can give and then TRUST in that PEACE. No matter where you are on your walk with Christ or what you have going on in your life right now, know that you have a Savior who loves you more than anything and is still preparing a place for you in heaven.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment