Monday, March 11, 2013

Have you gotten lazy?

Proverbs 26: 13 – 16 (NCV) "The lazy person says, "There's a lion in the road! There's a lion in the streets!" Like a door turning back and forth on its hinges, the lazy person turns over and over in bed. Lazy people may put their hands in the dish, but they are too tired to lift the food to their mouths. The lazy person thinks he is wiser than seven people who give sensible answers."
Solomon really tells us what he thinks about lazy people in Proverbs 26. As I read through this chapter, I couldn't help but go back to verses 13 through 16. I can’t think of one single person I know that is truly lazy. By lazy I mean “someone who does absolutely nothing.” Oh sure, some people do more than others because their jobs may be more physically demanding but in thinking about everyone I know…they all do something. I know I have my down time... but I don't think I'm lazy. In fact, rest was something that God did after He spent six days creating the heavens and the earth. He told us to rest and even gave us a day to do it…the Sabbath.
Let’s look at this in a different way. So you may not be a lazy individual, you may be an extremely hard worker…but what about your faith? Are you lazy when it comes to your faith and your relationship with Jesus? Have you set aside time in your hectic day to spend a few minutes with Christ? Time to talk to Him, be in his word and get to know him better?
Try a little self assessment. Do you have a consistent daily quiet time? When you set aside time for Christ, do you read your Bible and journal the things you reflect on?  Is there a certain time and place you've dedicated just for you and Christ?

If the answer to any of these questions is "no", try one or all of the steps listed below to establish a quiet time or get you back on track.

1. Set aside a time where there will be no distractions. For example, set your clock 15 to 30 minutes earlier so you can get up and spend a few minutes reading a chapter of the Bible. OR stay up a few minutes later so you can have a quiet time before you go to bed.
2. Find a quiet place in your home where you will be less likely to be distracted or fall asleep.
3. Commit to read and journal 1 chapter of the Bible a day.
4. Having a busier than typical day? Set a timer for 10 minutes and read your Bible.

If you’ve gotten lazy in your relationship with Christ, it’s not too late to fix it. He’s waiting for you right now. He wants to spend time with you more than anything! I know it’s hard to wrap your brain around that concept right? The God of the universe wants to spend quality time with me? Whether it’s five minutes or an hour and five minutes – I try to find some time to get alone with Jesus… I know when I take the time to "get away with Him" I am always glad I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment