Thursday, April 4, 2013

I've decided to do "what's best for me"


Proverbs 30:5 "Every promise of God proves true; he protects everyone who runs to him for help.”

Have you ever heard someone say “I have to do what’s best for me?” Maybe you’ve even said it yourself a time or too…I know I have. The truth is, if what’s “best for me” goes against or doesn’t align with what God’s word says we fall into sin’s trap.

The world would have us believe that times have changed and the word of God is simply a “guideline” for how to live a moral and just life. Furthermore, we are inundated with ideas that we should also “believe” that there is “no way” in today’s society we could even follow such “out of date” practices. I personally, would BEG to differ. I think about this and it breaks my heart. 

The word of God is as true today as it was over 2,000 thousands of years ago. The Bible has stood the test of time and is our guiding light in the uncharted waters of this journey we call life. Through it, God shows us His unconditional love, He shows us how to live and how to love, He has also given us armor we can put on every day to stand up and fight against Satan’s schemes (Ephesians 6:10 – 18). He promises peace to people who follow him (Psalms 85:5 and Isaiah 26:3-4).

Finally, did you catch the second part of Proverbs 30:5? "He protects everyone who runs to him for help." According to Noah Webster’s (1828) dictionary the word “protect” means:

To cover or shield from danger or injury; to defend; to guard.

Imagine that for just a moment. When we “run” and seek the truth from God’s word instead of this world, God will “protect” or “shield” us from the dangers of it (this world). I for one would rather be shielded by God than led astray by the lies. 

So "what's best for me" is to listen and obey God’s word no matter what this “world” may think of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment