Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Are your friends wise?

Last night I had the opportunity to have dinner with one of my best friends. Although we remain in contact during the week via text and phone calls, we really don’t get the opportunity to spend time with each other. When we find time to have dinner, go to a movie or just hang out we jump at the chance and make the most of it. Last night, I think we determined we hadn’t actually seen each other since February when we celebrated my January birthday. Four months sure sounds like a long time not to see your closest friend in the world…doesn’t it?

As I read through 1 Samuel 18 – 19 this morning in my quiet time, I was reminded of why she and I are such good friends…especially as we strive to walk down the path God has planned for us. In these 2 chapters of 1 Samuel, I read about the friendship between David and Jonathan. This friendship was one of the closest and deepest recorded in the Bible. Chapters 18 and 19 show us how their friendship began and the strength and loyalty it possessed during a time of great trial (1 Sam 18:1-4, 19:1-2).

When you think about developing a friendship with someone what comes to mind first? Why do you become friends with them? I think the most common answer is “because we like spending time with them and we have various things in common”. David and Jonathan’s friendship wasn’t just based on things they had in common, it went much deeper than that…it was based on their strong commitment to God. In Chapter 19:1-2, when Saul told Jonathan he wanted to kill David, Jonathan disobeying his own father to protect David from harm. When David came to Jonathan for advice, Jonathan encouraged him with the truth – even when it was a painful one. Their friendship didn’t let anything come between them; career nor family problems.

While my friend and I have many things in common and like spending time together, there is something even greater we share…our love for Jesus Christ and our desire to follow him wholeheartedly. I know when I come to my friend for advice she will give me truth based on God’s word. At time I may not like to hear what she is saying but, I never have to question the source of her advice. A true (genuine) friend speaks the truth no matter how much it hurts to hear…believe me I am speaking from experience.

Do you have friends in your life who will tell you the truth from God’s word or, do your friends just tell you what you want to hear based on flattery and lies?

Proverbs 13:20 (NCV) Spend time with the wise and you will become wise, but the friends of fools will suffer.



No comments:

Post a Comment