Friday, June 7, 2013

Describing God...


Romans 11:33-36 (MSG) Have you ever come on anything quite like this extravagant generosity of God, this deep, deep wisdom? It's way over our heads. We'll never figure it out. Is there anyone around who can explain God? Anyone smart enough to tell him what to do? Anyone who has done him such a huge favor that God has to ask his advice? Everything comes from him; Everything happens through him; Everything ends up in him. Always glory! Always praise! Yes. Yes. Yes.

When I read Romans 11:33 – 36 in the Message paraphrase, my mind went to the Chris Tomlin (a Christian singer and songwriter) song titled Indescribable. In the lyrics of this song, Chris sings about the beauty and unique design of the world we live in; the highest mountain, the depths of the sea, and the voice of each creature that roams the earth. I don’t know about you, but as I stop and think about the words, I stand in awe of the creator (God) who spoke it all into existence.

In chorus of this song, Chris sings of how indescribable and uncontainable God is. Can you really describe God? You can talk about the attributes of God, but to describe him… I’m sure no one can.

Stop and think of the intricacies of this earth you have enjoyed with your eyes and other senses. From spring flowers and their fragrance, the falling leaves of autumn, the roll of the ocean waves, vast mountain ranges, deep valleys teeming with plush landscape, the dryness of the desert, and the beauty of the sun as it rises and sets. I stand in awe of the God who gave us such vibrant colors and beauty. 

What really brings me to my knees is the fact that the God of all creation is the same God who wants a personal relationship with me. He knows me – the very details of my life, each hair on my head, and has held every single tear I've cried in the palm of his hand. He loves me (and you too) so much that He sent his only son to die in my place for my sin. I didn't have to earn anything, I didn't have to do anything...  the price for my sin was already paid in full on Calvary's cross.

I am humbled by and thankful for God’s love, grace and mercy. I don't deserve any of these things... but Jesus thinks I do - he thinks you do too.  He loves us that much.



No comments:

Post a Comment