Thursday, June 27, 2013

The truth can be painful

Proverbs 27:6 (GW) Wounds made by a friend are intended to help, but an enemy’s kisses are too much to bear.

Accountability is a good thing…but do you really like to be held accountable? I know…tough question. To be honest, I’m not overly-enthusiastic when someone points out an area of weakness in my life. When someone speaks into my life, I have to consider the source of the information. Is it someone I truly trust and has my best interest at heart, or is it someone just pointing an accusing finger? I have to admit it’s an easier pill for me to swallow when I trust the person bringing me the unpleasant advice.

There are very few people I trust to speak into my life. Even if what they have to say hurts, these people love me and only want the truth brought to light so I can work through the area of weakness.

A biblical example of this type of accountability can be found in the 12th chapter of the book 2 Samuel. It’s about a year after David committed adultery with Bathsheba which produced a pregnancy. In chapter 11, David plots to cover up his sin by sending Uriah (Bathsheba’s husband) to the front lines of battle knowing he’d be killed (2 Samuel 11).  As this chain of events unfolds, each decision David made plunged him deeper and deeper into a pit sin and grew more callous with every action.

Nathan, a prophet during this time, was sent by God to point out David’s sin. Nathan and David were friends long before he committed adultery with Bathsheba. As God’s spokesman, Nathan confronted David and helped him see his own wrongdoing and then comforts him with the reality of God’s forgiveness. Nathan also had to remind David of the consequences his sin would bring. That couldn’t have been an easy conversation.

Truth is painful and when delivered by a trusted friend you can be assured it’s for your good…and growth.



No comments:

Post a Comment