Friday, June 28, 2013

Getting rid of hidden sin

Proverbs 28:13(NCV) “If you hide your sins, you will not succeed. If you confess and reject them, you will receive mercy.”

Have you ever done something you knew probably wasn't right but you did it anyway? I know I sure have. When I accepted Christ as my savior, there were many sins I needed to confess.  Those "things" I'd been doing while living by the world's standard needed to go if I wanted to follow Christ. I asked for forgiveness and because of the shed blood of Jesus, I was forgiven in that very moment. God sees me now as if I'd never committed the sin. Praise God for his mercy!

But what about the sin I didn't confess? While I had asked Christ to come into my heart, change my life and forgive my sin, I didn't allow myself to confess everything. Some of you may be asking "Why would you do that?" I know I have asked myself the same exact question. Working through these things, I've learned that I allowed my pride and my own agenda to keep me from confessing "pet or hidden sin."  I overlooked the sin rationalizing "There is no way 'this tiny little thing' is wrong."  There were even a few times when I confessed my sin and said with my mouth "I'm turning the other way and will never do this again," yet in my heart I knew I'd be doing the same thing again.

In the eyes of God there is no rationalizing...sin is sin; and unconfessed sin will prevent us from having the abundant life Christ promises. Solomon tells us in verse 13 of Proverbs 28 that "if we confess our sin and reject (or turn away) them, then [emphasis mine] we will receive mercy.

Are you holding onto or hiding sin in your life? If you are, you're not receiving the abundance Christ has for you. May I encourage you to recognize the sin and take steps to repent (completely turn away). Don't think you're strong enough to completely turn away? Then find someone to hold you accountable. God will honor and pour His mercy over you when you wholeheartedly turn away from your sin. 

Related reading: 1 John 1:9, Psalm 66:18, 2 Corinthians 7:8 – 11, Isaiah 55:6 - 7

No comments:

Post a Comment