Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Is loyalty a thing of the past?

Ruth 1:16 (NIV) But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God.
Do you consider yourself a loyal person? When circumstances surrounding you are at their darkest point and it seems there is no sign of light, do you stay or go? It could be any circumstance: relationship, job, friendship. I believe loyalty in our society today is at an all-time low. Feelings get hurt, tensions rise, silence grows, people walk out the door and on to the next “thing” before they even bother trying to communicate through issues and resolve conflict.

Relationships have become disposable.
There’s a women in the Bible who shows us how to remain loyal in the midst of difficult circumstances. Her name is Ruth and her story is told in a book by the same name. Ruth’s story begins in the midst of very difficult circumstances. Her husband has died and her mother-in-law, Naomi, is encouraging her to go back to her homeland, Moab, but Ruth won’t go. Ruth remains loyal to Naomi. 

Because of her loyalty God rewards her greatly, but the reward doesn't come immediately. She will have to encounter some pretty difficult situations; but they will not define nor defeat her. She will look to God to be her strength and her protection facing her circumstances with kindness, and integrity. Eventually she becomes the great-grandmother of King David and is listed in the lineage of Christ. How's that for a reward?
It’s amazing how God can work in our circumstances for good if we wait on Him and let Him work in the midst of the difficulty. No matter how devastating our present situation, our eyes and our hope must remain on God. We must also believe that He can work in the life of ANY person or situation knowing full well that His resources and wisdom are infinite.


Lord, teach me what you want me to do, and I will live by your truth. Teach me to respect you completely. I will praise you with all my heart, and I will honor your name forever. (Psalm 86:11 – 12)

No comments:

Post a Comment