Friday, August 2, 2013

Showing Jesus to my unbelieving family members

John 7: 1- 5 (NCV) After this, Jesus traveled around Galilee. He did not want to travel in Judea, because some evil people there wanted to kill him. It was time for the Feast of Shelters. So Jesus' brothers said to him, "You should leave here and go to Judea so your followers there can see the miracles you do. Anyone who wants to be well known does not hide what he does. If you are doing these things, show yourself to the world." (Even Jesus' brothers did not believe in him.)
Jesus knew how it felt to face trials and tribulation because he faced the same struggles we face. He even knew what it was like when members of his own family didn’t believe in him. I know the pain of trying to deal with family members that don't share my faith… but I can't allow the pain to take my focus off the One who knows my pain… I take comfort and lean on Christ because He too has been there. 
Being a Christian, I have chosen to live my life according to the truth of God’s word. The more I learn about Jesus and what the Bible says, the more I am transformed into his image. For the people who live by the world’s standards, the way I chose to live is hard for them to understand. Jesus faced the same type of scenario in John 7 verses 1 – 10. It was time for the Feast of Shelters. Jesus's brothers were going into Judea for the feast. Knowing that his time had not yet come to die and there were people out to kill him, Jesus told his brothers he would stay in Galilee.
His brothers didn’t understand why Jesus wanted to stay. They told Jesus that he needed to “show himself to the world.” They thought Jesus should go so his followers in Judea could see his miracles. But Jesus knew the time wasn’t right. After Jesus’s brothers left, Jesus did go too, but he didn’t let people see him.


Like Jesus, I have to walk by faith and not by sight. As I continue to live my life for Christ in the midst of unbelieving family members, I trust Jesus for the words to say so that they may see Him and not me. Jesus is at work in the life of me and my family…  I have to trust in His perfect timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment