Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I am determined to stand firm...are you?

Daniel 3:16 - 18 (MSG)  Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego answered King Nebuchadnezzar, “Your threat means nothing to us. If you throw us in the fire, the God we serve can rescue us from your roaring furnace and anything else you might cook up, O king. But even if he doesn’t, it wouldn’t make a bit of difference, O king. We still wouldn’t serve your gods or worship the gold statue you set up.”

Isn't it amazing how God reveals things to us? He started to make His point last night through an article I read on Foxnews.com and then finished it this morning in my quiet time while I read through the story of Shadrack, Meshack and Abednego (Daniel 3).

His point?  

Stand firm in your faith and do not EVER compromise what you believe

Good point.

Last night, my husband and I were at the table eating our dinner and discussing the current circumstances with Syria. As we talked I went to the Fox News website for an update on the situation but before I got there I noticed another headline,

Christian bakery closes after LGBT threats, protests

Of course I had to click on the link. 

The article interested me because my small group has spend some time in recent weeks talking about Christians facing increased persecution here in the United States. In this article it appears that a family-owned bakery operated by a Christian couple with 5 children decided to close it's doors after threats from LGBT activists. The article said the bakery is currently under investigation for refusing to bake a wedding cake for a lesbian couple.  

According to the article, a Lesbian couple filed discrimination charges and then went to the media to "get the word" out. Since the business's refusal to bake the cake, the family has faced months of harassment from pro-gay marriage forces. The couple told the media they have nothing against homosexuals but because of their faith, they just couldn't take part in gay wedding events. 

Within days of the story being released to the media, the family received death threats - even the death of their children. The commissioner of Oregon's Bureau of Labor and Industries gave the following statement:

“Everybody is entitled to their own beliefs, but that doesn’t mean that folks have the right to discriminate,” he told the newspaper. “The goal is to rehabilitate. For those who do violate the law, we want them to learn from that experience and have a good, successful business in Oregon.”

I guess businesses in Oregon are being forced to follow the law..man-made law... and not God's law. As followers of Christ, we are suppose to live our lives according to the standard of God's word. 

As I read through Daniel chapter 3 this morning...  I saw similarities between these 2 stories.  Shadrack, Meshack and Abednego had a choice to make, they could bow down and worship the Babylonian king, or they could honor the commandment "Thou shall have NO OTHER gods before me." They chose to trust God and didn't compromise what they believed. 

In the same way, this Christian family held firm to their faith in God and their belief in God's word. This family remained faithful to God no matter what. 

When you take a stand for God, you will stand out. Rest assured, God will honor your faith. 

Are you prepared to stand with Shadrach, Meshack and Abednego and say "if He delivers me, or if He doesn't, I will serve God only."

No comments:

Post a Comment