Thursday, September 5, 2013

"Shopping cart" madness

Leviticus 20:7-8 (MSG) Set yourselves apart for a holy life. Live a holy life, because I am God, your God. Do what I tell you; live the way I tell you. I am the God who makes you holy.

Today, I believe God wants me to understand that HE is God and I am not.  (Simple truth right...why can't I get that through my THICK head sometimes?) I have a tendency to "control" things that are completely and totally out of my control. Like grabbing a shopping cart at a grocery store and "steering" it up and down desired isles, I grab a "shopping cart" in my life and won't let go. I try so hard to "steer" things the way I want them to go. By trying to control the "cart" (outcomes of circumstances that I have no business trying to control in the first place) I fail miserably. 

Plain and simple: When I try to "take control",  things don't get better…they get worse. 

God doesn't want me calling the shots of my own life. He wants my total surrender. He wants me to hold back NOTHING from Him. He wants it all: my life, my spouse, my child, my finances, my job/vocation, my talents, my time...etc. 

I have to let go of the "cart".

When I surrender fully to Christ and allow him to "steer the shopping cart of my life" amazing things begin to happen. I see Him instead of the circumstance. I feel His peace instead of the chaos that surrounds. I find deep joy that carries me through the most emotionally gut-wrenching blow. I see abundance in the midst of despair and poverty.


This process of "giving up control" or "total surrender to Christ and his lordship" never ends. When I decide to release control of my life over to Christ, He will show up in ways I would have never dared to dream or imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment