Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Finding success by losing control

Proverbs 3:1-6 (NIV) My child, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in mind. Then you will live a long time, and your life will be successful. Don't ever forget kindness and truth. Wear them like a necklace. Write them on your heart as if on a tablet. Then you will be respected and will please both God and people. Trust the Lord with all your heart, and don't depend on your own understanding. Remember the Lord in all you do, and he will give you success.
How do I find peace in my life?  By obtaining wisdom because, according to God's word, it (wisdom) will bring peace.  Wisdom will give life to those who use it (v. 18), and everyone who uses it will be happy.  If I hold onto wisdom, Proverbs assures me that I can lie down and sleep in peace.  I won’t be shaken or afraid of sudden trouble.
So if wisdom brings peace…how do I find wisdom? According to Proverbs 3, I have to hold onto the word of the Lord. I have to strive to keep the Lord's commands in mind and not forget his teachings. I must remember kindness and truth by wearing them like a necklace and write them on the tablet of my heart.

But there’s more…I also have to trust God with all my heart. I have to give up all dependence on what I believe is best for me in the situation or current circumstance and trust the Lord in everything I do and then He will give me success.

At times, I tend to be a control freak. For example:

I played softball until I was about 35 years old. Every time I'd step up into the batters box I'd dig my feet in and grip the bat so tight my knuckles would turn white. I'm not sure why I held on so tight...I probably didn't want to sling the bat across the field when it came time to drop it and run. So I held tight. Like holding onto the bat and digging my feet into the batter's box, I can hold on to a life issue so tight...trying to control every little detail. It's exhausting and it's a lack of faith and trust in God on my part.

God doesn't want me “white knuckling” the circumstances of my life. He wants me to bring them to Him and lay them at His feet and trust Him. When I try to control circumstances it seems they either get worse or nothing happens at all. I am trying to "fix" something I have no control over in the first place. When I allow God to work, He takes over the chaos and control and works all things together for my good (Romans 8:28). In the process, I will learn to rely on God, grow in wisdom and knowledge and most importantly find success because I "let go" and "let God."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment