Monday, October 21, 2013

From temporary blindness to enternal sight

John 9:39 (MSG) Jesus then said, “I came into the world to bring everything into the clear light of day, making all the distinctions clear, so that those who have never seen will see, and those who have made a great pretense of seeing will be exposed as blind.”

Have you ever wondered why God allows things to happen? In John 9, Jesus and his disciples come across a blind man who has been blind since birth. The Bible doesn’t tell us how old he is, but what we do know is he has never been able to see anything. One of the disciples poses a question, “Teacher, whose sin caused this man to be born blind – his own or his parents?” (v. 2)

Jesus’ responded “Neither. This man was born blind so that God’s power could be revealed in him.” The disciples were getting ready to see Jesus perform another miracle. But how would Jesus open this man’s eyes?

Jesus spit on the ground and started mixing it with dirt to make mud. He then placed the mud on the man’s eyes and told him to go wash in the pool of Siloam. The Bible tells us the blind man went and washed and came back seeing.
 
What do you think the journey back must have been like? This man had been blind since birth; he had never seen another human being, a flower, a tree, a bird, the sun. Can you imagine what must have been going through this man’s mind?
 
The man’s neighbors were there and they questioned if he was the same blind man they saw begging earlier. Wait? What?  If these people were neighbors wouldn't they have recognized him? Can you just hear the former blind guy's answer?

“Look at me! You guys had to have seen me more than a few times. I have lived here my entire life! How can you even question...that I am the same man who, just minutes ago, couldn’t see ANYTHING! “Yes! Of course it’s me! I can see! I can see!”  Can't you just him jumping and shouting with absolute exhilaration?

Can you believe their response? It's in verses 8 and 9.  “No” his neighbors said “it only looks like him!”

I don't know about you, but I kinda picture the former blind guy standing there with his jaw hung open in disbelief. Perhaps his response was something like “Hey guys… It’s me! It’s really me!”

Everyone wanted to know how he got his sight. “Jesus… it was Jesus that healed me!”
 
But the Pharisees didn’t believe the man had been blind since birth. So they sent for his parents. Throughout this entire story I can't help but imagine what the former blind guy must have been thinking? “Ummm…hello??? I’m telling the truth! Jesus healed me. I should know this!  Why won’t you listen???”
 
When the leaders asked the parents, they were afraid to step out of their comfort zone and told the Pharisees their son could answer for himself. They let fear of what people on this earth could do them trump the blessing of the miracle. One more time the Pharisees asked the man to tell the truth. 

I think by this point had I been the former blind man, there would have been "begging" in my tone.  Pleading with the Pharisees and the people in my neighborhood to believe me. His response to the Pharisees question, “All I know is that I once was blind but now I see!” (v25)

Can’t you just hear the exchange? Of course, I hear it in my own words… “I’ve told you people what he (Jesus) did and how he did it… but it’s a miracle and I am amazed!!!  Aren't you? You should follow him too… I know he can heal whatever illness you have.”  

I can just imagine the anger rising up in the Pharisees. They were blind to the truth of who Jesus really was. Sadly, because of their blindness, they threw the man out of the Temple.
 
When Jesus heard about what had happened, he found the man and asked him one simple question. “Do you believe?” The man’s response, “Lord, I believe!” and the man worshiped him. The man gave up everything and followed Jesus.
 
What would you have done if you were faced with a similar circumstance? Would you stand up, like this man did, for the One who healed you? Or would you be crippled with fear of what "man" could do to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment