Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Today I'm choosing to "add flavor"

Well, I believe God is taking me on a journey to really dive into the words I speak and how I choose to use them. The verse I am studying today comes from Colossians 4:6 in the NIV. “Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.”

I really like the way the Message paraphrases this verse too:

“Be gracious in your speech. The goal is to bring out the best in others in a conversation, not put them down, not cut them out.

So after reading this verse in a few different translations of the Bible, I couldn’t help but take an honest look at the words I choose to use. I’d like to think I am encouraging and uplifting in all my conversations. But in all honesty, I’m not…especially when I get upset or bothered by something.

I get irritated with my husband and my words show the contents of my heart…words laced with anger, bitterness, disdain, or contempt. My words really ooze with condescension when I pick up the telephone and hear a telemarketer on the other end. My words are short and bite…clearly letting them know I’m not at all happy with the intrusion.

My WORDS matter! And according to Matthew 12:34, how I choose to use them says a great deal about the contents of my heart. OUCH! I really want the contents of my heart to be a reflection of Jesus and the difference He has made in my life.

Looking back to the verse in Colossians, Paul encourages us to "let our conversations be full of grace and seasoned with salt." When I thought about the purpose of salt, I thought about how it enhances the taste of the food I eat. But too much salt ruins everything.

Today, I want my words to "enhance" or "add flavor" to the day of those I come in contact with.

Today Lord help me engage my brain before one word rolls off my tongue. I want every word that comes out of my mouth to be uplifting and encouraging to those around me. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment