Thursday, October 17, 2013

Where did God go?


Psalm 119:50 (MSG) Remember what you said to me, your servant—I hang on to these words for dear life! These words hold me up in bad times; yes, your promises rejuvenate me.

This past weekend I attended a Women of Faith event in Charlotte, NC. I love the Women of Faith conferences. The speakers and the worship are so encouraging and inspiring. When I go to one of these conferences, I expect God to move in me and He never lets me down.

It was no different this time…God drew me one step closer to Him. Max Lucado, one of my favorite speakers, encouraged us to spend time in God’s word finding promises to cling to in the midst of turbulent times. He said (and I’m paraphrasing) “Most of the time we interpret the presence of pain with the absence of God.” But that’s simply not true. God has been with us since the beginning of time….from the Garden of Eden to this very day. He hasn’t gone anywhere. It’s us and our lack of faith and trust in Him, that has us questioning “where’s God?” when life gets tough.

God is sovereign over all. What does sovereign mean? A trip to Noah Webster’s 1828 dictionary tells me:

Sovereign: Supreme in power; possessing supreme dominion; as a sovereign ruler of the universe.

There is nothing that can catch Him off guard. When we think He’s checked out, we need to look again and ask ourselves…

“Are we keeping our eyes firmly fixed on Him or have we placed our eyes on our circumstance?”

Psalm 119:50 is one of the verses that remind me to hold onto God’s word when troubles come. His promises will:
 
·       comfort me,
·       encourage me,
·       sustain me,
·       give me hope, and
·       bring me life.

May I encourage you today to get into God's word and find the promises you can cling to when life seems to spin out control.
 
Father, thank you for never leaving us when things get tough. Forgive us for doubting your presence in times of trouble. You ARE with us and will never leave us. I know this without a doubt because Your Word tells me so. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment