Friday, November 1, 2013

I want more!!!

Psalm 4:6-7 (MSG) Why is everyone hungry for more? “More, more,” they say. “More, more.” I have God’s more-than-enough, More joy in one ordinary day.
 
In the movie “Pretty Woman”, Richard Gere’s character (Edward Lewis) is a very successful business man. From the beginning of the film, movie watchers can tell Lewis has a boat-load of money and can basically have anything he wants. Perhaps driven by the desire to get back at his father for leaving him and his mother penniless, Lewis purchased his father’s company and sold it off piece by piece. There is a line near the end of the movie about wanting more. Lewis has an exchange with the women he hired to be his “social side-kick” for a week. Throughout the movie their relationship grows from employer-employee to something more. Here is the exchange:
 
Vivian: I want more.
Lewis: I know about wanting more. I invented the concept.
 
This quote from this movie is spot on…we are all hungry for more. Just admit it...haven’t there been times in your life where you’ve wanted more of something? I know I have. For example, I always wanted more responsibilities so that my salary level would go up at work. I’d work so hard to prove myself by sacrificing time with my family to work on special projects after hours or on weekends. Honestly, I never (EVER) got an increase in pay. For whatever reason, I was always passed over. Thinking I needed to prove myself even more, I’d work harder, stay longer and later. Where did that get me? Nowhere! I think about it now and I know the increase in pay wouldn’t have been enough…I would just want even more and would have continued to drive myself into “more” of a frenzy.
 
We all have a huge void in our life. We desperately try to fill it with something…anything that will take the emptiness away. We run to alcohol, drugs, sex, relationships, food, friends, activities, jobs, etc. to try and fill hole. But it’s never enough. We are left with “wanting more.” The truth is we will never fill that void until we realize that the only “more” we need is Jesus. Only He can satisfy our “more” craving.
 
No person, job, drug, activity or meal will ever be able to give us what Jesus gives. Psalm 4:6-7 is clear…God is more than enough. I am reminded of a song sung by Chris Tomlin titled Enough. I will leave you with the lyrics. As you read through them, take an honest look at your life. Are you trying to fill a void with something other than Jesus? Trust me, He is and will always be ENOUGH!
 
Enough
(Chris Tomlin)
All of You is more than enough for all of me
For every thirst and every need
You satisfy me with Your love
And all I have in You is more than enough

You are my supply
My breath of life
And still more awesome than I know
You are my reward
worth living for
And still more awesome than I know

All of You is more than enough for all of me
For every thirst and every need
You satisfy me with Your love
And all I have in You is more than enough

Your’e my sacrifice
Of greatest price
And still more awesome than I know
You’re the coming King
You are everything
And still more awesome than I know

More than all I want
More than all I need
You are more than enough for me
More than all I know
More than all I can say
You are more than enough for me

No comments:

Post a Comment