Monday, November 4, 2013

True or False: Your thoughts run your life?

TRUE! To find out why...read on...

Psalm 19:14 (NKJV) Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer.
This verse takes me back to Sunday mornings sitting on a church pew next to my parents. I can still hear those words just as clearly now as I did some 40 years ago. You see, I grew up in church and my family spent most of the day Sunday and Wednesday evenings at church services or serving in some capacity. I can remember hearing the Pastor pray these words all the time just before he began his sermon. It wasn’t until I was much older I realized they had come from Psalm 19.
This morning as I re-read these words I had to ask myself a few questions:
  • Are the words of my mouth acceptable/pleasing to God?
  • Does the contents of my heart show evidence that I am a Christ-follower?
In the gospel of Luke (6:45) we are reminded that "the mouth speaks what the heart is full of."

I would like to think that my words and actions are a reflection of God's love to those around me 100% of the time...but that wouldn't be true. The truth is, sometimes (just as recently as last night actually) the words that come rolling out of my mouth are harsh and come from a pretty angry heart. I am so thankful for God's mercy and grace. He is so patient with me.

This week I challenge you to pray this verse each morning as a prayer of surrender. Humbly surrender your words and thoughts to Him. Determine that God's love will guide what you say and how you say it.

Related scripture: Proverbs 4:23, Psalm 139:23 - 24

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post! Frequently I've battled with the idea that God could love ME, what did I do to deserve his love, how could someone so great and magnificent love such a flawed being as myself? But then I realised we just have to trust in him and love him with ALL our heart and being.

    ReplyDelete