Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The difference between dogs and ants


Proverbs 6:9 (NCV) How long will you lie there, you lazy person? When will you get up from sleeping?

 Proverbs 13:4 (HCSB) The slacker craves, yet has nothing, but the diligent is fully satisfied.

 
I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I’ve been called to reach others through my writing. It has been confirmed by many trusted others and I see the fruit God produces when I am obedient to him and use the writing talents He’s given me. So what causes me to get “lazy” in using my gifts? Sometimes, when I have the opportunity to write it seems that there is always either something else to do or, I just want to plop in front of the TV and play the old familiar game of “channel surfing.”  Each time something like this happens, I feel the nudge of the Holy Spirit encouraging me to get up and write or tweak something. Sometimes, I'm sad to say...I sit and wallow in my laziness.

This morning during my quiet time, I read Proverbs chapter 6. While reading, the Holy Spirit drew my attention to verses 6 – 11. These verses talk about the diligent ant. Have you ever watched ants? They are constantly working to prepare for the winter months. Very much unlike my dogs, who think it’s their duty to lay belly-side up basking in the warmth of the sun shining through the window of my family room. The ants never stop. As I thought about this, I realized that at times I am just like my dogs… lazy. What's more when I, like my dogs, settle into "basking" in the warm sun, I'm being disobedient to the leading of the Holy Spirit.

UGH.

Continuing to read Proverbs and the accompanying notes, I was encouraged by what I found. In verse 6 the writer challenges us to take a lesson from the ants. If I learn or consider their ways I will become wise. I thought about the ants this morning and realized that God has called me, all of us actually, to be more like the ants instead of my lazy old dogs. I began to cross-reference scriptures throughout the book of Proverbs and noticed the contrast between diligence and laziness. I’d like to share with you what I found:


The Diligent
The Lazy
Scripture reference
Become rich (not necessarily monetary wealth)
Are soon poor
Proverbs 10:4
Have abundance
Chase fantasies
Proverbs 12:11
Will be leaders
Will become slaves
Proverbs 12:27
Reap prosperity through hard work
Experience poverty because of laziness
Proverbs 28:19

 
I can see each of these contrasts as they play out in my life and the life of others I know. There is one other contrast I came across that really hit me; it’s from Proverbs 13:4

 “The slacker craves, yet has nothing, but the diligent is fully satisfied.”

At times, I've been a slacker as far as my writing is concerned. I have allowed “stuff” to get in the way of what I know I should be doing. Although I “crave” to be all I can be through my writing, I am not fully satisfied. This verse in Proverbs was a huge eye-opener for me this morning. I want to be fully satisfied and have all God has promised me. But, I will never get there if I’m a slacker.

It was time for me to repent. As I prayed a prayer of repentance for my laziness, I asked God to also restore the places inside me that I had allowed the enemy to destroy. I want to be wise with the time God has given me. Therefore, I am committed to following the way of the ants, and as I do, I know I will have the abundance God promises those whom are diligent.

No comments:

Post a Comment