Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Decide today how to handle temptation tomorrow

Proverbs 5:1-2 (NCV) My son, pay attention to my wisdom; listen to my words of understanding. Be careful to use good sense, and watch what you say.

In the first few verses of Proverbs 5, Solomon encourages us to pay attention to his words of wisdom and listen to his words of understanding (v.1). We need to be very careful of the words that come out of our mouths, the thoughts that run through our heads and our actions as we go about living our daily life – especially if we are married.
 
Proverbs 5 is a warning about adultery. After the first two verses, Solomon warns of falling down the slippery slope of adultery. Marriage is tough enough without being swayed away by “enticing” or “sweet” words from a co-worker, neighbor or anyone of the opposite sex. Proverbs says that their words may seem as sweet as honey but they lead to sorrow. Did you know the Bible even considers lusting after someone in your heart adultery?
 
If you are married, it is important to nurture the relationship you have with your spouse so it produces fruit that lasts; fruit such as joy and love (Gal. 5: 22-23). We are to let the love our spouse has for us make us happy and hold us captive (v.19).
 
But how do we do this? In verse 13 Solomon writes:

"I would not listen to my teachers or pay attention to my instructors."

Sometimes, I look back at my life and say the exact same thing about certain situations I found myself in. "If I would have only listened...things would be different now."

Have you ever said that?

When temptation strikes, it's too late to ask for advice or guidance. For me, I want satisfy the craving and I want to do it immediately...not after I've had a conversation with my friend about whether it's a good idea or not. The best time for me to seek advice about potential downfalls is before the "tempting" occurs. I have to make up my mind in advance how I will act (or handle) the situation. Once my mind is made up, resisting the temptation is easy because I've already decided the outcome.

It's so easy to get wrapped up with our job, the kids, and our busy lives to focus on our marriage. But it's so very important to nurture that relationship with our spouse. Second to our relationship with Christ, our marriage is the most important relationship that requires daily attention.

Decide now to work on your marriage every day. Solomon encourages us to do this the following verse:
Proverbs 5:19 (NCV) She is as lovely and graceful as a deer. Let her love always make you happy; let her love always hold you captive.
 What can you do today to let your spouse know they can still hold you captive?

What captured your heart in the first place?

Rekindle the flame in your relationship by committing to nurture the relationship you have with your spouse.

Related reading:Matthew 5:28, 1 Peter 2:11, Mark 4:19, Titus 2:11 - 12 

No comments:

Post a Comment