Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Finding a place of refuge

Deuteronomy 33:27 (NLT) The eternal God is your refuge, and his everlasting arms are under you. He drives out the enemy before you; he cries out, ‘Destroy them!’

In this verse, Moses declared that God is our refuge, our only true security. According to Noah Webster's dictionary the word refuge means:

Shelter or protection from danger or distress.

In today's society, it's so easy to entrust our lives to temporary things; perhaps money or a career just to name a few. Hear me, I'm not saying these things are bad but, when we put our trust in things such as these, we develop a false sense of security. Money and an upwardly mobile career can be gone in an instant but God will never leave us..."His everlasting arms are under us."

everlasting: Lasting or enduring forever; eternal; existing or continuing without end; immortal. 


God is our eternal refuge.

eternal: Without beginning or end of existence; immortal; everlasting

Psalm 90:1- 2 (NCV) Lord, you have been our home since the beginning. Before the mountains were born and before you crated the earth and the wold, you are God. You have always been, and you will always be.

He always holds out His arms to catch us when the shaky support we trust in collapses around us. I like the simple reminder of the promise this verse gives. There is no storm I face (or you face) that will ever destroy me when I take refuge in God. Just like Peter’s walk (Matthew 14:22-33) on the water, as long as I keep my focus on Jesus, I know I will not be consumed by the tumultuous “waves” this world can produce.  

I pray you find comfort and strength in this truth today.

No comments:

Post a Comment