Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Nuggets of Hope for Parenting

Proverbs 29:15 (MSG) Wise discipline imparts wisdom; spoiled adolescents embarrass their parents.

Proverbs 29:15 (GW) A spanking and a warning produce wisdom, but an undisciplined child disgraces his mother.

Proverbs 29:15 (NCV) Correction and punishment make children wise, but those left alone will disgrace their mother.


Is it just me or were any other mother’s out there blessed to have been given the gift of a strong-willed child? I know without a doubt there are other mothers like me out there. In fact, I am glad there are…I have sought their advice, listened to their words of wisdom, tried the same or similar techniques they've used to discipline their children, and used their shoulders to cry on more times than I can count.

God’s word is clear in Proverbs 29:15, discipline, correction and punishment produce wisdom in a child. Discipline…my least favorite part of parenting. I’d rather my son be the well-behaved, well-mannered child I know he can be. As parents, don’t we all want this? Realistically this is not going to be the case all the time. When discipline is necessary, I can’t just “let it slide” because if I do, I’m being disobedient myself. As a Christian, I desire to live a life that pleases and brings glory to God. If I let the discipline of my child go, I am not pleasing God at all.

Let’s just face it, parenting is just tough sometimes, even for those parents whose children are not strong-willed. So many times I’ve wanted to throw my hands up in the air and scream at the top of my voice “I can’t do this anymore!!!” In these times I’ve learned to lean on the promises found in God’s word. I call these promises my “nuggets of hope” to help me make it through the day and sometimes, the minute.

I’d like to share a few of my “nuggets of hope” with you. I pray they encourage you and strengthen you just as they have me.

Deuteronomy 31:6 (GW) Be strong and courageous. Don’t tremble! Don’t be afraid of them! The Lord your God is the one who is going with you. He won’t abandon you or leave you.”

Galatians 6:9 (MSG) So let’s not allow ourselves to get fatigued doing good. At the right time we will harvest a good crop if we don’t give up, or quit.

James 1:5 (NCV) But if any of you needs wisdom, you should ask God for it. He is generous to everyone and will give you wisdom without criticizing you.

Psalm 138:8 (GW) The Lord will do everything for me. O Lord, your mercy endures forever. Do not let go of what your hands have made.

Psalm 127:3 (NCV) Children are a gift from the Lord; babies are a reward.

Are you facing a challenge when it comes to disciplining your child? Please know that discipline brings wisdom. Even though the child may not realize they are “gaining wisdom” at the time, the Bible promises:

Proverbs 22:6 (NCV) Train children to live the right way, and when they are old, they will not stray from it.





No comments:

Post a Comment