Monday, April 28, 2014

What's in your garden?

Galatians 6:7-10 (MSG) “Don't be misled: No one makes a fool of God. What a person plants, he will harvest. The person who plants selfishness, ignoring the needs of others—ignoring God!—harvests a crop of weeds. All he'll have to show for his life is weeds! But the one who plants in response to God, letting God's Spirit do the growth work in him, harvests a crop of real life, eternal life. So let's not allow ourselves to get fatigued doing good. At the right time we will harvest a good crop if we don't give up, or quit. Right now, therefore, every time we get the chance, let us work for the benefit of all, starting with the people closest to us in the community of faith.”

It’s that time of year again for people to get out in their yards and get their gardens ready to plant fresh vegetables. For me, there is nothing better than cucumbers and tomatoes fresh from the garden in my own backyard. But today, I want to take a look at a different type of garden; my walk with Jesus Christ. What am I planting or sowing as I walk down my path with Christ?
I have to ask myself the question “am I planting crops along my journey that will reap a harvest of eternal value (eternal life)?” Am I producing a harvest that produces good fruit? Galatians 6 says we will reap what we sow; if we gossip we reap a harvest of gossip. If we slander or hurl insults, we can pretty much expect the same in return. So how can I reap a healthy crop?

Reaping a healthy crop can be accomplished by replacing the “lies” with truth. If there is something going on in my life that doesn’t align itself with God’s word, I can be certain it will produce an unhealthy crop. It’s only by sowing God’s word into my heart that I can produce a crop that is eternal. 
In the 6th chapter of Galatians, Paul mentions that we will reap a harvest if we do not give up or quit. What would happen if I didn’t water the cucumbers or tomatoes in my garden? Chances are the plants would die and produce nothing. The same is true of my Christian walk. If I want to produce a harvest that brings eternal life I have to continue to drink from the well that doesn’t run dry. Where is this well you ask? It’s God’s word, the Bible. I can find the truth for living hidden within its pages. The Bible will help to replace the “weeds” in my life with rich soil so the “seed” of life can take root within me and grow. (Matthew 13:1 – 23)

No comments:

Post a Comment