Friday, May 2, 2014

More truth leads to less difficulty

Proverbs 23:23 (NCV) Learn the truth and never reject it. Get wisdom, self-control, and understanding.”

“Learn the truth and never reject it.” I don’t know about you, but this seems really hard to do sometimes. When I learn the truth about something, I have a decision to make. I can accept it immediately or I can spend days, weeks, months, sometimes even years wrestling with it trying to incorporate it into my daily life. Has anyone ever been there? I think what this verse is saying is learn the truth and then use wisdom, self-control and understanding we obtain along the way not reject that truth.
Think about a truth you have been wrestling with for a while. I know for me, it was the issue of being a submissive wife. I struggled in this area for years because it was hard for me to submit when my husband and I were in two completely opposite places spiritually. The reality I faced was the “truth of God’s word is, was, and will always be the truth." I can accept it and be blessed or reject it and hinder my spiritual growth. Just because my husband and I were in two spiritually different places did not mean that I had the “option” to ignore the truth. As a Godly wife, I still have to submit to my husband as to the Lord (Eph 5:22).

I am not going to lie to you… this was a VERY hard truth to learn and accept. Looking back, what I learned to do was use the second part of Proverbs 23:23 to help me with the lesson. I actively looked for wisdom, self-control, and understanding in the area of submission. This was a difficult process for me at times, but I didn’t reject the truth just because it was a hard one to accept. I was obedient and as a result God has blessed me and my household beyond measure. There is an indescribable peace where there used to be strife and constant struggle.
So what is the difficult truth in your life? May I encourage you today to use wisdom, self-control and understanding to embrace it. You will be amazed at the way God draws you closer to Him in the process.

Related scripture: Gal. 5: 22 – 23; 1 Peter 1:13; Titus 2: 2 – 6; Titus 2: 11 - 12

No comments:

Post a Comment