Monday, June 18, 2012

Tough questions raised as I read through Proverbs 15

Proverbs 15: 2 – 3 (NCV) “Wise people use knowledge when they speak, but fools pour out foolishness. The Lord's eyes see everything; he watches both evil and good people.”
In Proverbs 15, Solomon shows us what happens when we choose to live and speak wisely. In verse 2 he says “wise people use knowledge [emphasis mine] when they speak, but fools pour out foolishness.” Where does knowledge come from anyway? As I thought about this, I turned the pages of my Bible back to Proverbs 1:7 and began to read “Knowledge begins with respect for the Lord.”
When I choose to respect or rather, as I begin to know Christ more through careful study of His word and live a fully devoted Christ centered life my respect for the Lord grows. I understand His word and can be confident in the fact that His ways are so much higher than mine. As I continue to read through the book of Proverbs, I see this simple truth and begin to find comfort.
We also know that the Lord’s eyes see everything. [verse 3 The eyes of the Lord are in every place, keeping watch upon the evil and the good. AMP] As I reread verse 3, my mind went back to the parable of the ten bridesmaids (Matthew 25:1 – 13). This parable talks practically about what will happen when Jesus returns. Some will be ready and watching, while others will be off doing their own thing. Proverbs 15:3 reiterated a truth about this parable and brought me to the question “If Jesus were to come back right now would I be involved with something or engaged in an activity that brings honor and glory to His name?”
I would hope in whatever I do or say, I would bring honor and glory to God. As I continued reading, I began to read it as though I were asking myself a series of questions. Care to ask yourself the questions that I did?
Do I produce good fruit? Am I living a fruitful life?
Am I lifting people up with healing words or do my words bring a crushing blow to their spirit? Do I use my words to spread the knowledge of the saving grace of Jesus Christ?
Are my thoughts being taken captive and made obedient to Christ? Do I respect the Lord and follow His commands?
Am I controlling my temper? (yikes!)
Do I seek Godly counsel when making decisions? Do I listen to correction and accept it by applying to my life?
Am I humble?
I encourage you today to read through Proverbs 15 and ask yourself the questions this chapter raises. If there is work in your life to be done, you will know it as you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment