Tuesday, February 4, 2014

How great is Christ's love for you?

Like the ocean, His love is deep


Lamentations 3:22 – 23 (NCV) The Lord’s love never ends; his mercies never stop. They are new every morning; Lord, your loyalty is great.
Ephesians 3:18 (NCV) And I pray that you and all God’s holy people will have the power to understand the greatness of Christ’s love—how wide and how long and how high and how deep that love is.
God has blessed me on several occasions with little weekend getaways to the Outer Banks of North Carolina with my closest girlfriends. These little getaways are always a much needed opportunity to relax, eat way too much, laugh, and stay up way too late. At the end of these weekends I am sleep deprived but that’s okay – we always enjoy ourselves and make the most of the time we have together.
I remember the last weekend we spent together in Kitty Hawk. It was the last morning of our trip, so set an early alarm to watch the sun rise over the ocean. The Master Creator did not disappoint. The sunrise was magnificent. The sun, a deep yellowish-bright orange ball gave increasing light to beautiful pale pinkish-blue sky as it continued to make its bold entrance on the morning. As I watched the incredible display of God’s design, I thanked him for waking us up in time to witness this glimpse of His beautiful creation. In that moment He reminded me of  3 things:
1 - His never-ending love
2 - His mercy (which is new each morning), and
3 - His grace (just one glance at the ocean and I can't begin to imagine how much water it  holds...just think about how much greater the vastness of His grace truly is)
God loved us so much that he sacrificed his one and only Son so that we could be forgiven, free, and spend eternity with him. I was also reminded that morning of the greatness of Christ’s love. Just as the sun reached over the expanse of the ocean, so too did Jesus stretched out his arms on a cross to pay the penalty for every sin we have committed or will ever commit.
For me, sunrises are a reminder of God’s mercy, grace and the deep, deep love Christ has for each one of us. Each time I see a sunrise or sunset, lyrics of two songs pop into my mind as a reminder of this truth and I find myself humming them throughout the day.


 “Mercies New” Nichole Nordeman
Your mercies are new every morning

So let me wake with the dawn

When the music is through or so it seems to be
Then let me sing a new song, old things gone
Every day it's true, You make all Your mercies new

“Your Love is Deep” Jami Smith 
Your love is deep,
Your love is high
Your love is long,
Your love is wide
Your love is deeper than my view of grace
Higher than this worldly place
Longer than this road I've traveled
Wider than the gap You've filled

"How He Love Us" David Crowder
We are His portion and He is our prize 
Drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes 
If his grace is an ocean, we're all sinking 
So Heaven meets earth like an unforeseen kiss 
And my heart turns violently inside of my chest 
I don't have time to maintain these regrets 
When I think about the way 
He loves us 
Oh how He loves us, 
Oh how He loves us 

Oh, how he loves 

No comments:

Post a Comment